Here are our frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Yes, you do! Unfortunately we cannot accept a learners license or a regular car drivers license as the insurance will not cover you or the motorcycle in case of an accident. '
RETZA offers the following discount structure:
- South African local (resident with ID) receives a 5% discount on rentals of 1 to 4 days.
- Groups of 3+ riders receive a 10% discount on rentals of 1 to 4 days.
- An automatic discount is applied for longterm rentals: 5% on 5 to 9 days, and 10% on 10 to 15 days
**Please note that only one of the above discounts apply only for the specified services and rental periods. Not included are any add -ons, gear or other experiences.
AT OUR RETZA CAFE @ SALT RIVER
- Our bikes are based in Salt River at our RETZA Cafe. The opening timings are 8.30am till 5pm (or as discussed), and we are closely located to the MyCiti Bus line, which easily connects you to the city & the airport.
- We understand that you may want to start your ride early, or it might take a bit longer to return. Contact us to discuss convenient pick up & drop timings for you!
CITY PICK UP & DROP
- We offer inner city pick up & drop service for our bikes at a charge of ZAR 450 (one way). Let us know where you are staying or where you'd like to pickup/drop off the bike, and we will arrange it for you.
South Africa is a great all-around the year destination.
October till April are the 'summer months' in Cape Town & the Western Cape, with November till January being the hottest time - ideal for a beach vacation. This is the best seasons for motorcycle rides, as the days are sunny and warm. Yet temperatures drop at night to 10-15 degrees. It is always good to carry a sweater and a set of warm clothes along.
April till September spots lower temperatures and it can get quite cold with rainy days. Yet, the Western Cape is beautiful at this time, and it is the perfect seasons for whale watching!
Being a coastal area, it is quite windy throughout the year and it takes usually 2-3 days to get used to riding in the wind. Make sure to carry wind-proof gear for more comfort.
Yes, riding in South Africa can be different from your home country. It's always good to familiarise yourself with the local rules and regulations upfront.
Here are few specialities that you should know:
- Left-hand traffic: Surprise! Yes, we ride on the left side of the road. Don't worry, you will quickly get a hang of it. Just take it easy and be extra careful in the beginning until you are used to it. It's really simple.
- 4-Way Stops: Be alert when you come to an intersection with a four way stop, which are common in South Africa. Rule of thumb is “first come, first served“, so pay attention and wait your turn to avoid a possible collision.
- Crazy traffic: depending on where you ride, traffic can be quite heavy, with lots of mini-busses driving really close or into the opposite direction. Just always keep an eye on the road and your surrounding, and you should be fine.
Travelling safely anywhere in the world, including in South Africa, requires a bit of local knowledge and a good dose of situational awareness. Below are a few basic tips, along with a reminder that an informed traveler is a safe traveler, regardless of your location.
- Make photocopies of important items in your wallet and pay special attention to the emergency numbers on the back of your credit cards. Store the copies safely somewhere away from your wallet.
- This should be a no-brainer but do not drink and drive. South Africa’s laws in this regard are strict and consequences are severe.
- Follow the traffic rules, obey the speed limit at all times and keep a safe following distance.
- Be aware of pick-pockets. Put wallets / phones in front pockets and be mindful of your bags in crowded areas, which can easily be opened if you are unaware.
All our bookings are facilitated on our online booking platform ACTIVITAR. If you click on any of the BOOK NOW buttons on our website, you will be redirected to our booking page.
Of course, you can also call us or send us an email for extra enquiries.
GUIDED TOURS (7 day & 3 day)
Let us know which tour interests you, how many people you are, and your preferred travel dates! We will get back to you immediately to make sure we have all your details, special wishes and clarify all your questions!
We will then send you a booking confirmation along with the payment link.
You can easily book our services online. All payments are easily and securely facilitated on our ACTIVITAR booking and payment platform. Once you've completed your booking, you can make the payment using your credit card.
For our rentals, we levy a refundable security deposit of ZAR 3,000 for the motorcycle. The personal liability is ZAR 10,000. No worries, it will only be blocked on your credit card and as soon as you bring back the bike, we will release it. You may choose to pay the refundable deposit directly along with your booking, or to settle it closer to the rental date.
Multi-Day Tours: We take a 50% advance payment up to 4 weeks to the tour date, and a final payment 4 weeks prior to the tour date.
Himalaya Tours: The tour is charged in EUROS, NOT ZAR. And the displayed price will be benched against the current EURO conversion rate. A 25% payment will be due upon booking. The 2nd 25% will be due 3 month prior, and the final 50% balance is due 4 weeks before the tour date.
Waiver & Insurance: Prior to the tour/rental, or latest on the first day itself, you will be required to sing a waiver. All our motorcycles have a comprehensive insurance. However, you will be liable for smaller damages and reckless riding. Please make sure to carry your legal full riding license and an official ID with you, or send us a copy via email or WhatsApp.
Yes, all our motorcycles have a comprehensive insurance. However, you will be required to sign an indemnity form upon tour start / rental start, and to pay a deposit of ZAR 10,000 which we will refund at the end of the tour or rental. You will be liable for any damages up to ZAR 10,000. Insurance exclusions are accidents caused due to neglectance, reckless driving and driving under the influence of alcohol.
Refund for rentals:
> 4 weeks: 100%
4-2 weeks: 50%
2-1 week: 25%
less than 7 days: non-refundable
Refund for 2h, half days & 1 day tours :
> 2 week: 100%
2-1 week: 50%
less than 7 days: non-refundable
Refund for multi-day tours:
> 6 weeks: 100%
6-4 weeks: 50%
4-2 weeks: 25%
less than 2 weeks: non-refundable
Do you have special wishes and plans for a tour? Talk to us!
We are happy to design a route according to your preferences and travel duration. Contact us for special requests, activities, to assist you with extra day bookings or to create a fully customised experience for an exclusive tour!
This is really easy! We are based in 9, Factory Road, Salt River/Woodstock, 7925 Cape Town (on the corner of Brickfield Road/Opposite Woodstock Bakery) and just a 5-10 minute drive away from the city centre.
The quickest is to take an UBER (it's safe!) which should cost you around ZAR 50 from the city centre.
We are also happy to arrange a personal car pickup or drop for you! Just drop us a message and let us know your arrival details.
There are plenty of amazing activities and things to do in & around Cape Town. Depending on how much extra time you have, we are happy to suggest and help you book your add-on activities or trips. Things you could do are:
- City trips: Visit Camps Bay, Clifton Beach, visit the Table Mountain (if the weather is good!), local markets, Art Thursday, go Sala Dancing!
- Vineyard trip & Wine Tasting in Franschhoek or Stellenbosch. It's really close and extremely beautiful, not to forget the great wine experience.
- Extreme activities: Paragliding, Scuba Diving, ZipLining, Sand Boarding, Shark Cage Diving, Bungee Jumping, Private Game Drive Safari